Comments from the SHRM/HRCI split survey

by |
The way it was announced and the way the "research" was performed lead me to doubt the whole process. SHRM was not transparent in its approach and subsequent announcement

I will NOT be renewing my SHRM membership after 12 years. I cannot continue to fund an organization that does not care about it's members and now slaps them in the face by saying their certification does not meet their standards. Shame on you! In years past SHRM pushed for this same certification that they are now abandoning.

I certified in 1979 when we had to sit for 4 exams. It was more like a CPA. I can't believe HRCI & SHRM could not have worked something out but I support tougher standards.

HRCI is the credentialing body and the certification achieved is the industry benchmark for a professional to achieve. I see nothing but additional costs and confusion for the professional HR person being created by this move. I am questioning further membership in SHRM, even a local chapter affiliated with the body although I think those organizations were just as unaware as the individual members of this. I hate to say it, but I get the feeling SHRM recognized how much was being made by HRCI for certification and decided they should have a piece of the pie. Thanks, SHRM, for adding additional confusion to the question of whether a certification matters. Now employers will be asking that question, putting the "HRCI certified" HR profession in a defensive position. Now us "certified" professionals will have costly decisions to make. Do I keep my HRCI cert, get the SHRM cert, how in the heck do I pay for all of it, will my employer continue to support it, will potential employers still regard HRCI cert as a benchmark for a professional's skills? Will employers consider any certification creditable now? Nice move SHRM.

I can't wait to see what they offer, but this is a HUGE disservice to those of us who have invested the TIME and MONEY into Certification and Re-Certification.

The rollout of this was horrible. Those in higher level volunteer positions with SHRM were not even made aware of this change. We have been flooded with questions and have no answers to provide. It seems to be specifically for revenue and membership.

Over the years, SHRM has touted the certifications. They do not prove your effectiveness as an HR professional, but they are necessary to market yourself. This mishandled execution of a decnt idea makes the profession HR look clueless, petty, and not worthy of being a strategic partner.

This whole thing seems like a planned "dupe" of all involved. As some of the comments posted include, many of us have spent a lot of valuable time and money to gain and keep our certifications (I have an SPHR certification) and memberships (SHRM) current. Why didn't SHRM reach out to its members regarding these changes. Isn't that what membership is about? To have a mystery email thrown out there that "your certification is changing"; but not to mention anything about the split from HRCI or the reasoning behind it, it basically going behind our backs. I am very disappointed in SHRM's actions and approach. While I can agree that a standardized test does not truly capture our level of professional expertise; neither does a degree.... but it does show the application of time and money to invest in the furtherance of our discipline. Can improvements be made - absolutely. Do we throw the baby out with the bath water - heck no. UGH!!

This is new information and having additional time to understand the new SHRM certification requirements will be important to forming an opinion.

It is unreasonable to expect an entire profession to start over from Point A when it comes to certification. If the new SHRM testing will recognize HRCI certifications and transfer them over, fine. But I am unlikely to study for and take an entire new exam.

If this new SHRM is so needed and "better" than HRCI's, why was HRCI kept in the dark while it was being developed? It would seem to me that if there was an unfulfilled need, both organizations should have worked on fixing it, together, rather than SHRM moving off in a manner that enriches their own self interests. I consider this to be motivated completely by SHRM's attempts to cash in on monies currently due to HRCI. If any random company orchestrated such a move, it would not be looked on favorably and I no longer can respect SHRM. Who is to say their certification will be a better gauge of HR skills and abilities than what is currently in place? I think the fact that they kept HRCI in the dark while orchestrating this speaks volumes. Also, the fact that the pres of SHRM is "unavailable" for comment is ridiculous.

SHRM is a business. I believe their decision is driven by business needs.

The communication of this change and the lack of concrete information about the new certification and the impact on the current HRCI certifications is awful! This move is up there with NetFlix wanting to split their membership fees for DVDs and Instant Viewing. I hope SHRM wakes up and reverses a very poor decision!

I have a real concern with SHRM controlling the whole certification process, from the learning system, to the test, to determining what you will get credit for. I see this as a slippery slope.

The SHRM study materials should be aligned with the certification exam. For this reason many large companies have not use SHRM certification as a quality standard. It is has not made sense in the past that when the two are not aligned. I have have had HR colleagues who were weak and they SHRM members who had their membership before the certification exams and were "grandfather claused-in". They were a very poor exam of SHRM. To become a real respectable standard the certification process needs to be consistent.

In my opinion, as stated in the article, it is to increase revenue for the orgainization.

Only motivated by $$$$

Money grab. For the past 5-7 years it seems SHRM has switched its focus on the HR professional from valued member who is supported with relative information, credentialing, etc. .....to becoming simply a conduit for SHRM's business partners to be sell their products to......

I just spent over $2K of my own money to get certified. This kind of news makes me question if i wasted my money. If the need is to add more competencies do it within a controlled manner that doesn't negatively impact those that invested to get certified.

I have been an HR professional for with a SPHR cerfification for many years, and have complied with the required recertification requirements as approved by SHRM. Actions by the current leadership at SHRM have raised a number of concerns for me during the past few years, and this recent launch of a SHRM recertification program reinforces my perception that this organization is now transitioned to a 'for profit' focus, with revenue opportunities in the forefront . I will not be recertifying through SHRM and will not renew my membership. I am very disappointed with SHRM 's handling of this situation, and saddened by the damage this divisive position may cause to the HR profession.

Other professions have a nationally recognized certification process. SHRM has taken HR Certification recognition back to the 80's. I won't look into any further HR certifications.

I have been certified for about 14 years - first the PHR, then SPHR, and now SPHR-CA. I am highly disappointed with how SHRM handled the communication and roll out. The message was not clear at all. I think this is a way for them to make money. I'm not sure I will obtain the new certification. It already costs a lot to keep up with my current certification, which I have worked hard at keeping updated.

I sincerely hope very few people choose to be certified through SHRM. It is obviously a ploy to increase revenues.

The only concern I have is that obtaining a certification from an outside objective party (HRCI) lent additional credibility. I worry that SHRM using their own training and their own testing, without the governance of an outside entity, will make this more about revenue and less about the prestige and value of the credential. I am already alarmed that SHRM programs that grant recertification credits have increased substantially in cost at an alarming rate. I wonder how HRCI will allow for earned recertification credits via SHRM participation and SHRM e-learning.

Poor communication. Poor execution. It puts HR as a function in a bad light and jeopardizes all certifications.

I have worked hard to maintain my HRCI certification and I would quite diappointed if SHRM chose to publically disparaged the SPHR certification. I listened to a webinar last week and I thought the commentators from SHRM were a bit demeaning when they mentioned those of us on the Webinar were interested "real HR" professionals. There were only 100 people on the Webinar what about the thousands of HR professional who could not participate (they do not count)? Right now in my eyes SHRM seems to be the "bad guy". I hope they plan a more comprehensive communication plan with Q & A's attached. Also, as part of that communication plan do not disrespect the HRCI certifications - too many of us have worked our "tail off" to pass the test and maintain our HRCI hours to keep our certification current.

This was very poorly handled by SHRM. I question the competency of the Board and CEO. They are saying they want HR Professionals to prove their competency, and then they are making amateurish mistakes around this change management process.

Over the last 3 years the service from SHRM and the annual conferences have been less effective, not up to previous quality. I match up with the current president and other leaders in SHRM. I am not pleased with its direction.

The manner which SHRM announced this change is suspicious. If their competencies are so much better than HRCI's they should be providing evidence right now. Ironically, they will allow current certificants to get the new certification without addressing any of the new competencies!

Rather than "ousting" HRCI I would have liked a stronger change management execution from SHRM, certainly NOT what we expect from an HR organization. I would have liked to see a better partnership to resolve and improve HRCI vs. cause splitting amongst our HR profession. It took us too many years to get to the certification, this has been managed poorly and will detriment our HR professions reputation we worked hard to establish

I won't disagree that the certification needs to evolve. I just think the communication has not been handled well.

This is clearly yet another way for SHRM to extract additional $ from hard working individuals. They want to be the "one" but are cutting off their nose ... so to speak!

I am taking the SPHR test in June. I have already paid for it and have been studying, now what do I do?

Waiting until I hear more at SHRM.

It seems clear that the SHRM certification will take over for the the HRCI certification. Most of the recertification credits are through local SHRM sponsored events or webinars. I would expect that eventually it will become more difficult to find qualifying trainings.

SHRM seems to have taken the Labor Relations approach - it's just a business trying to find ways to increase profits and revenue.

Communication not done well at all. Really shocked members and has now call into question the value of "PHR, SPHR, GPHR" certs. Some hiring companies have deleted it out of job specs and job postings. Is SHRM a non-profit or a for-profit org? Gee...Hmmmm

SHRM originally handled all the certification. Then it moved to the HRCI platform stating that there was a potential conflict between giving the certification, cost & time to be a certifying body etc. Now SHRM is stating that the certification is not competency based. I am NOT SPENDING money to get the SHRM certification, nor will I spend the money for my staff to be SHRM certified. I believe this is a MONEY MAKING scheme on SHRM part, additionally, I think it diminishes the value and tells the market that the SHRM organization doesn't have its act together once again. How is it that the professional groups of CPA's, Legal etc, seem to have all the certification requirements down and now SHRM won't recognize the organization that they morphed to originally. This is a problem. Again, it diminishes the professional view of HR. SHRM just shot their own people in the back!

This came out of the blue without much explanation to me as a member. How could they support it one day and then not the next. HRCI is commonly accepted and known; this undermines it and the HR profession. How would it feel if the equivalent Accounting/Finance society disowned the CPA? Bad move on SHRM's part.

I am torn on the split. I joined SHRM just a few months ago in preparation to sit for the PHR exam. Now, I am undecided on whether I want to shell out the $ for the exam if it isn't going to be recognized. I think there should be some level of agreement that any HRCI certifications received this year and next are recognized and valued for the next 3-5 years until the dust settles on this split.

I see nothing more than a revenue increase for SHRM.

This is stupid now people who are already certified are going to have to jump through hoops and spend extra money to say it was done by SHRM. It is totally revenue driven. Nice they asked their members what they thought before they did it. Whose brain child was this. Certainly you need to listen to the voice of your members.

I'm not happy with this, please work our your differences with HRCI, HR Professionals around the world are honored and respected with these certifications to take that away and start something new is very disheartening. I am not happy with this decision and all the PHR and SPHR that I know share my same opinion.

SHAME ON SHRM! the way they have communicated this change is horrendous. Aren't HR professionals suppose to the masters of CHANGE Management? The creators of chaos inside the organization? I feel that SHRM has done a dis-service to my profession and if I thought it would make a difference, I would cancel by 25+ year members with them.

As a long time member of SHRM, I have always been very proud to be part of this organization. However, this string of events has clouded my thinking and I'm wondering what impact it will have on the HR profession's creditability as a whole. SHRM has always been the "go-to" source and held in the highest of regard and esteem for the profession, but this idea of needing to add another certification mechanism leaves me thinking somebody wasn't getting enough revenue and wanted more of the pie. SHRM had a perfect solution all these years with HRCI being the certification arm...hell, they even created it! And to change that now is suspect to me...and the handling of it with the media and its members has been a nightmare. Unfortunately it has brought about a lot more questions than answers. I may be wrong, but it seems to me things started going south since Sue Meisinger left office.

Very poor communication on the change. As a former chapter president and volunteer leader at the state level, this is a total turn-off. No advance notice to volunteer leaders? Ridiculous!

As an HR executive professional for over 25 years, I find it insulting that SHRM now thinks my experience and certification are questionable. SHRM should work with HRCI and consider grandfathering in some certified professionals who meet years of experience and certification. These individuals should receive the SHRM certification without further costs.

So now the focus is on "competency". I have been a PHR for 13 years and every three years I am required to recertify by taking classes, attending seminars, participate in research/publishing, and provide examples of On-the-job experience. How is that not showing competency? As soon as I received the e-mail from SHRM, I thought one thing... Money.

I think SHRM is committed toward make sure the HR Profession continues to advance. Its unfortunate there is so much controversy and so many negative feelings about this issue. HRCI tests "knowledge" and the new SHRM certification will be testing "behaviors - how well HR Professionals execute the knowledge." Both are important in the advancement of our profession.

I believe that the move to add a SHRM certification for HR is in no uncertain terms a money making move. In the end as a HRCI certified practitioner of HR I believe that I will need to attain the new SHRM certification. However, I am skeptical of whether it will actually benefit my career or just lighten my wallet.

I think it's time to overhall SHRM. It should be about the practioner versus a revenue generator. It adds insult to injury that the new leader is an accounting guy. Too long HR has been seen as reporting to Finance versus stand alone.

I can't believe SHRM would announce a new certification without having details regarding the title(s), procedures, etc.

I just can't believe this mess.

I think they are blustering to create a partnership rather than to own a new certification. They want mor money without additional administrative headaches...and more control over the product/process. It is unfortunate but is another illustration of why HR is not viewed well.

Seems like a waste

Very disappointing. I just recommended that several new staff obtain their PHR...then went back and said nevermind. Had mine for 14 years and feel that I am competent as I am an HR Executive. Not sure why SHRM feels the need to re-verify that...for me or anyone.

I don't know enough about this to provide an opinion.

Very disappointing news especially since I just renewed my PHR Certification.

Imagine a HR practitioner behaving the way SHRM has...Disgusting.

The HRCI system is already a racket, SHRM is getting in on its own game. I'm think I'm done with both of them. My years of experience an and MBA in HR Management matter more anyway. Greed will ultimately kill them both.

HRD America forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Name (required)
Comment (required)
By submitting, I agree to the Terms & Conditions